Fr: the French one (f)

Generic term for (grammatically female) clothing items that were considered typically French as opposed to English or anything else.

The distinction is most prominent when referring to the robe, which was invariably pleated in back: "franšaise" indicates that the pleats are left hanging loose - a style worn in France from the 1710s on - while "anglaise" indicates that the pleats are fitted to the back and stitched down, a style worn in England from at least the 1720s on, but not in France until he 1770s.

See also Contouche.